The Junior Band was a new addition to the Flagstaff Community Band beginning during the summer of 2015. These bands provide an opportunity for youth to participate in a community band setting over the summer. Once again during the 2017 season Junior Band will be divided into two bands based on age and level of the youth. The Junior Band is under the direction of Mr. Tim McKay with assistance from Sheila White. For more information about the conductor, please visit the Conductor's Corner.
Why Should I Join the Junior Band?
As a musician in the Junior Band, you will have the opportunity to rehearse and perform with other young band musicians from across the Northern Arizona region. The Junior Band will be divided into two separate groups based on age range to provide more attention to the needs of each group. You will get to play a wide variety of musical styles, and you will receive instruction on how to be a better performer on your instrument. As a part of some rehearsals, we will have guest instructors on most band instruments join us and work specifically with each section of the band in small group sectionals.
We hope that every young person participating in this group will be inspired and motivated to achieve a higher level of musicianship, and will bring that experience and knowledge with them back to their own school at the end of the summer. The final performance on Heritage Square in downtown Flagstaff is also sure to be a memory these young musicians will carry with them for a long time.
- In order to participate in the Junior Band portion of the Flagstaff Community Band, students must have at least one full year of experience on the instrument they will be playing in the ensemble.
- The ensemble is for band musicians who are currently completing their 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th grade years in school.
- We accept musicians on the following instruments: flute, oboe, bassoon, clarinet, bass clarinet, saxophone (alto, tenor, or baritone), horn, trumpet, trombone, baritone, euphonium, tuba, and percussion (concert percussion, including mallet instruments, snare drum, bass drum, cymbals, etc…)
- Wednesday, May 31, 2017
- Wednesday, June 7, 2017
- Wednesday, June 14, 2017
- Wednesday, June 21, 2017
- Wednesday, June 28, 2017
- NO REHEARSAL Wednesday, July 5, 2017
- Wednesday, July 12, 2017
- Wednesday, July 19, 2017
- Wednesday, July 26, 2017 (Dress Rehearsal)
END OF SUMMER 2017 CONCERT:
- Heritage Square - Friday, July 28, 2017, call time 5:30 pm
Participation in the Junior Band is completely FREE and all Junior Band members will also receive a free t-shirt!
Through grant funding from the Flagstaff Arts Council, and the Flagstaff Community Foundation, the Flagstaff Community Band is proud to sponsor the Junior Band as a means of promoting Music Education.